It is currently 05/18/24 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/20/10 4:42 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I just made my first Semmeln (something similar to hard rolls) from a german recipe, and damn! they were pale after those 20 minutes the recipe called for.
Hell yeah! 220 degrees on my oven isn't even close to 220 degrees Celsius.
Back to making another batch. Grrrrr!Image

PostPosted: 12/20/10 5:25 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Normal people use farenheit.  Get with the program!

PostPosted: 12/20/10 5:47 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I kinda saved them. A little hard on the outside of course but inside just as they were supposed to be.
The dough was perfect and if I use the right temperature next time American "bread" will be banned from my house.

PostPosted: 12/21/10 4:41 am • # 4 
Canadians aren't normal?

GREAT!

PostPosted: 12/21/10 4:47 am • # 5 
Editorialist

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

Fahrenheit to Celsius Converter

PostPosted: 12/22/10 3:50 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

hahahahaha, I know your pain. I am still flummoxed at all the different ways they do things here. For instance, advertise meat at a per pound price, wrap and label it in freaking grams! I still can't do that math. Hubby has to tell me how many pounds I'm buying. Selling curtains on the SAME site, with one set measured in inches, another in centimeters...or millimeters.........or millipedes. Something like thatImage

I baked something when I first came here at 220F rofl. I didn't read the directions closely enough and my oven is in F, the instructions were in C with the F temp in fine print. I thought something was wrong with my oven. Image

Picking up a box of cereal thinking I'm in some parallel, but opposite universe until I realized it was the French side. That still sometimes catches me off guard. The up side to that is I'm learning a teeny bit of French. With my corrupted southern accent, it sends hubby into a laughing fit. Image

PostPosted: 02/15/11 2:44 pm • # 7 
Chaos
Fahrenheit to Celsius Converter
I thought this was going to be the  C 9/5 +32= F    

PostPosted: 02/20/11 5:01 am • # 8 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
hahahahaha, I know your pain. I am still flummoxed at all the different ways they do things here. For instance, advertise meat at a per pound price, wrap and label it in freaking grams! I still can't do that math. Hubby has to tell me how many pounds I'm buying. Selling curtains on the SAME site, with one set measured in inches, another in centimeters...or millimeters.........or millipedes. Something like thatImage

I baked something when I first came here at 220F rofl. I didn't read the directions closely enough and my oven is in F, the instructions were in C with the F temp in fine print. I thought something was wrong with my oven. Image

Picking up a box of cereal thinking I'm in some parallel, but opposite universe until I realized it was the French side. That still sometimes catches me off guard. The up side to that is I'm learning a teeny bit of French. With my corrupted southern accent, it sends hubby into a laughing fit. Image

It gets easier after 30-40 years. Image

PostPosted: 02/24/11 5:16 am • # 9 
roseanne wrote:

There are reasons why they advertise meat using one measurement system and package using another.  Most Canadian beef is shipped to the US for processing and packaging then shipped back to distributors. Since the US uses the imperial system of measurement, the shipping system can't use the metric system.  However, the Canadian government requires all labeling for packaged goods to be in the metric system so at the retail level, that's what you'll see.

There are 28 grams to an ounce > 16oz (1 pound) = 454 grams.  So, if you're buying 100 grams of ham, you're buying less than a quarter pound.

The construction industry is another place where you'll find this same confusion. A 2 x 4 is expressed as 2 inches by 4 inches but is actually 1 3/4 inches by 3 3/4 inches but is shown as a 2 x 4 on blueprints. As i recall it, metric is seldom if ever used in architectural drafting where wood components are used.

PostPosted: 03/02/11 2:47 pm • # 10 
Administrator

A 2 x 4 is expressed as 2 inches by 4 inches but is actually 1 3/4 inches by 3 3/4 inches

Rough sawn lumber, perhaps or in Canuckistan. Now it's 1 1/2 by 3 1/2. Don't even argue with me. Image

PostPosted: 03/11/11 4:50 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
roseanne wrote:

There are reasons why they advertise meat using one measurement system and package using another.  Most Canadian beef is shipped to the US for processing and packaging then shipped back to distributors. Since the US uses the imperial system of measurement, the shipping system can't use the metric system.  However, the Canadian government requires all labeling for packaged goods to be in the metric system so at the retail level, that's what you'll see.

There are 28 grams to an ounce > 16oz (1 pound) = 454 grams.  So, if you're buying 100 grams of ham, you're buying less than a quarter pound.

The construction industry is another place where you'll find this same confusion. A 2 x 4 is expressed as 2 inches by 4 inches but is actually 1 3/4 inches by 3 3/4 inches but is shown as a 2 x 4 on blueprints. As i recall it, metric is seldom if ever used in architectural drafting where wood components are used.
And here I thought it was because it sounds cheaper price per pound! lol Well, it does!  Image

PostPosted: 04/15/11 12:55 pm • # 12 
Administrator

jabra2 wrote:
A 2 x 4 is expressed as 2 inches by 4 inches but is actually 1 3/4 inches by 3 3/4 inches

Rough sawn lumber, perhaps or in Canuckistan. Now it's 1 1/2 by 3 1/2. Don't even argue with me. Image

It's 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 here and has been for years.

PostPosted: 04/18/11 4:20 am • # 13 
Oh... They shave off half an inch now... back in my high school days it was 1/4 inch. Learn sumptin' new every day.

PostPosted: 04/29/11 9:57 am • # 14 
Editorialist

It gets easier after 30-40 years.

But not much easier.  I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, though:

Kilogram - 2 lbs and a bit
Litre - Not quite a quart
100 grams - Not very much especially for the price they want for it
millimeter - not very long
centimeter - what I measure and then swear at after I've cut when I wanted an inch
kilometer - half a mile and then some but good thing is they do go down faster than miles when you're driving
Celcius -   0 = cold
               10 = warmer than 0
               20 = depending on the wind might not need a jacket.  Beach is iffy
               30 = hot

PostPosted: 05/03/11 12:55 pm • # 15 
Administrator

1 litre - not enough beer

PostPosted: 05/04/11 4:15 am • # 16 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
1 litre - not enough beer
Two-four = enough beer.

PostPosted: 05/20/11 11:00 am • # 17 
Administrator

roseanne wrote: