It is currently 05/08/24 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
PostPosted: 03/12/11 3:27 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Due to recent financial setbacks, I'm cooking a lot more.  Also due to financial setbacks, i'm cooking crappier cuts of meat.

so:  how do you moist cook a pot roast?  I've got the dry roast stuff down well, but the dry roast doesn't work for the tougher cuts i buy these days.  I follow the recipies fairly closely--but here's the thing I don't get.  They always say to cook the darn thing for 4 hours or so.  According to my thermometer, after and hour and a half at 300 degrees f, surrounded by liquid halfway up the roast, the roast is now like 140 degrees according to my thermometer, and now strong enough for me to fix my boys shoes with. 

I know i've done a couple of things wrong, like not bringing the liquid to a boil on the stove before going in the oven.  I don't have a crock pot, and i'm not sure about the small roasting pan i'm using on the burner.  it's kinda old and thin already.

Am I cooking the darn thing too long or not long enough?  Or do i just have to cope with tough roast? 

I'm using rump roasts and round roasts, eye of round, the cheap cuts.  Cest la vie, if we're going to eat beef now, it ain't gonna be prime rib.  (though i did get some on sale once.  yum.  haha)

TIA guys.  common, help out a non betty crocker.

PostPosted: 03/12/11 3:51 pm • # 2 
Slow and long cooking softens the meat - especially eye of round. If you don't cook it long enough it's like eating your shoe. Another good idea is to sear the entire surface of the meat in a hot pan before you put it in the oven. This helps to keep it's natural juices in because it prevents the moisture from sweating out as the roast cooks.

PostPosted: 03/12/11 4:05 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Greenie, pot roast is one of my favorite 'comfort foods' ~ and I love how I make it ~ I use a chuck roast ~ and Reynolds cooking bags ~ couldn't be easier ~ you sprinkle a tablespoon or so of flour in the bag ~ put the meat in ~ put in whatever veggies you want ~ I virtually always add carrots and onions ~ my sister also adds potato chunks, but I don't because I prefer buttered noodles with pot roast ~ I also sprinkle a packet of dry onion soup on the meat ~ for @3lbs of meat, I add [I think] 1/2 cup of water [from the tap, not boiling] ~ close up the bag [ties provided], put it in a baking dish/pan, make a few slits in the top, and pop it in the oven at 325*F, for about 2 hours [time depends on weight of meat] ~ there are complete instructions [and recipes] in the box of cooking bags for temp, time, adds, etc, for every kind of poultry and meat ~ the meat is always very tender and never dried out ~ and any leftovers make great bbq'd beef the next day ~ another hint is via my mother: she always reminds me to never make a roast that is less than close to 3lbs ~ smaller cuts dry out much faster and there's too much shrinkage ~ the cooking bags also make clean-up fast and easy ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/12/11 4:29 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

coooooool.  thanks guys.  I think i wasn't leaving them in long enough.  I guess the moist cooking way isn't supposed to leave them pink in the middle, like the dry roast?

edit:  it's also possible that the roasting pan i'm using is too big, and i'm putting too much water in.  I guess i'm going to have to invest in a proper crock pot.  haha

PostPosted: 03/13/11 5:31 am • # 5 
Editorialist

gat, I always cook my roasts long and low from a frozen state, whether in the crock pot or the oven. I would do longer hours, at 250 or 275. Something I've discovered by accident. Because of my high BP, I wasn't salting the roast. Big mistake. Now I rub on garlic, pepper and salt, "pin" a large ring of raw onion to the top with a toothpick, cover and let her go. The salt has made a huge difference. I also add potatoes and carrots with enough water to cover those under the roast.
I've never seared mine first, but that may be a good idea too.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 03/20/11 4:32 am • # 6 
Searing is one of my tricks when I'm barbecuing steak. A really hot, smoking cast iron pan and just a couple seconds for each side of the steak before going on the barbecue grill.

PostPosted: 03/20/11 7:12 am • # 7 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
Searing is one of my tricks when I'm barbecuing steak. A really hot, smoking cast iron pan and just a couple seconds for each side of the steak before going on the barbecue grill.

Let me second the crockpot.  If you can afford to invest in one, it's fantastic for cooking pot roast, stews, soups, etc.  I even made my Christmas stuffing in my crockpot.

PostPosted: 03/21/11 5:47 am • # 8 
The key for long roasting is a low temp.

PostPosted: 03/31/11 2:35 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Skip the water...use red wine. Helps tenderize. Yummy, too!

PostPosted: 04/15/11 12:51 pm • # 10 
Administrator

I guess the moist cooking way isn't supposed to leave them pink in the middle, like the dry roast?

Think a huge chunk of stew.

PostPosted: 04/15/11 12:52 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Chaos333 wrote:
Skip the water...use red wine. Helps tenderize. Yummy, too!
There goes the "cheap" angle. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply