It is currently 05/20/24 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Gluten free bread recipe
PostPosted: 11/19/11 10:54 am • # 1 
Editorialist

This sounds a tad intimidating, but I'm going to try it soon........after I purchase all the dang flours,Image lol. Please read the author's post in the link.

http://glutenfreebay.blog...hat-just-might-make.html

Her glowing praise is what made me want to try it.

GLUTEN-FREE MULTIGRAIN MIRACLE BREAD

1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup amaranth flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot starch
1/4 cup flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)
3 teaspoons xanthan gum
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 additional egg whites
1 cup water, room temperature
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

Preheat the oven to 200F.

Sift the flours, yeast and all other dry ingredients together into a medium bowl. Stir in flax meal and combine.

Combine the wet ingredients in a separate large bowl using a hand-mixer on low or medium speed. When fully combined, slowly add dry ingredient mixture and mix until fully blended, with no lumps. Scrape the sides regularly.

Grease a 9x5" bread pan, and pour the dough into the pan. Turn off the oven and immediately place the pan in it. Do not open the door again, if possible. Allow the dough to rise for 90 minutes. It should rise to the very top of the pan.

Increase heat to 350F and bake for approximately 40 minutes. The crust should be golden-brown. Allow to cool slightly before removing it from the pan to finish cooling. Do not slice until the bread is no longer hot.

This loaf does not need to be frozen, but if there are leftovers after a few days, place slices in airtight bags and freeze.

PostPosted: 11/19/11 1:47 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

This is one reason I haven't bothered with trying to make low carb breads - a lot of the recipes I've found call for several types of flours which I just can't justify spending money on.  I love bread but I can live without it.  I hope this recipe works out for you, Roseanne. 

PostPosted: 11/20/11 4:42 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Holy shit! I hadn't priced the flours when I posted that.Image LOL

I think I'll pass for now, until I'm 100% sure that I am committed to this thing. For now, I've found a store that carries the bread mixes (and a lot of other gluten free mixes) where I can buy them that will satisfy my (and hubby's) bread cravings. 

PostPosted: 11/21/11 1:08 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Roseanne, you might want to give this one a try - only uses almond meal/flour instead of a bunch of different flours.

Almond Bread

PostPosted: 11/21/11 1:20 pm • # 5 
My mouth was watering just looking at those pics...

PostPosted: 11/22/11 5:38 am • # 6 
Editorialist

laffinalltheway wrote:
Roseanne, you might want to give this one a try - only uses almond meal/flour instead of a bunch of different flours.

Almond Bread

Wow, how simple! I'll bet the cream cheese keeps it nice and moist. Thanks.Image

Edited to add: How the heck do you blanch Almond meal?Image  

PostPosted: 11/22/11 9:03 am • # 7 
Editorialist

You can buy almond meal blanched or unblanched (I think it's called "natural").

PostPosted: 11/22/11 9:26 am • # 8 
I think blanching almond meal is different from "Blanched Almonds". Blanching is when you par-boil something and "blanched almonds" are the almonds that have the brown skin removed... two different things. I would imagine you'd want to blanch the almond meal to make it softer before baking the bread.

PostPosted: 11/23/11 10:18 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Blanching the almond meal is a lot of work, I would think.  You'd be better off buying whole almonds and blanching those and then grinding the nuts into meal.  Or you could just buy already blanched almond meal.blanched almond meal 

PostPosted: 12/03/11 10:12 am • # 10 
Editorialist

So I finally tried my bread mix. Image  First of all it overflowed the pan, but I had put a cookie sheet below. Secondly, the top got almost burned, but the loaf wasn't anywhere near done. Mostly batter in the middle. The little bit I tasted (which dripped over onto the cookie sheet) was ok. It was too sweet for me to use as "bread".

I did find out that the company who makes the mix is in Edmonton, LOL. I can order things directly from them if I want.

I think we are going to try to find a good quality grain bread, like rye or flax, that has less wheat and go from there. I do not have the patience or the time to concoct my own breads. I don't eat that much anyway, only one piece a day, toasted to spread my special butter that is suppose to lower cholesterol, LOL. Hubby eats most of the bread.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply