It is currently 04/28/24 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/20/11 11:46 am • # 1 
Editorialist

In search of gluten-free items. Wow, they had LOTS! Not cheap, but not as expensive as I'd imagined either. Planet Organic is a organic grocery store that specializes in organic fruit and produce (they will be carrying my favorite crooked necked squash next summer), plus other health food related items.

Anyway, I bought one box of gluten-free bread mix, one package of gluten-free shortbread cookies (sweetened with agave syrup, low glycemic value!), a bag of gluten-free cheesy poof thingies, lol (both cookies and cheesy poofs good) and some organic bananas at .99 lb. (can you tell I had the munchies, lol......forgot to eat lunch)

Total cost $15. Not bad.

They have shelves full of gluten free pasta. The package said that it will cook like regular pasta. I'll buy some of that soon. Their gluten-free cereal looks yummy. I was a little overwhelmed by the sheer volume of things, so I'll make another trip when I'm not so hungryImage and when I need an item I'm going to be replacing. BTW, the guy at the check out said that if I hate the bread mix, I can bring back the box for a refund! Imagine that!

Hubby is rolling his eyes at me. ROFL! He should know by now that when I decide to go on a crusade, I do it full-force. Lots of research, lots of experimentation, but he sort of gets tired of my "preaching" when I convey my latest research results..........Image

PostPosted: 11/27/11 3:19 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Must be your glutenous maximus acting up.

PostPosted: 12/04/11 7:09 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Second trip to Planet Organic. I bought pre-made bread this time, lol. It's millet-chia (no, not chia petImage),  with some flax and brown rice too. I used to feed millet to my pet birds. Image Haven't tasted it yet, but I read online that most gluten free breads are better warm/toasted. They have a great selection of breads, which I didn't even look at last time. Some from the Edmonton gluten-free place here:

http://consumer.kinnikinn...ction/consumer.home.html

and some from a local gluten-free bakery. Mine is from Denver lmao! I'll try the local bakery stuff next time.

Also bought some gluten-free peanut butter cereal. I like my Rice Chex, but this will be good when I need a change. When I finish my Ritz crackers, I'll try some of their gluten-free later on. I love crackers and peanut butter as a quick snack. 

PostPosted: 12/04/11 8:58 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Review:  The bread is good! Of course, I had it toasted with my Pro-Activ butter (with plant sterols) and peanut butter.Image Still, it has a great texture and full-bodied taste.
The cereal is good too. I had a small bowl with skim milk and my toast and I am pleasantly full. I could get used to this. Image

We are planning on having the rice noodles this week, tossed in soy sauce along with meatballs in ginger sauce. I'll let you know. I think in the long run, I will prefer the brown rice spaghetti from Planet Organic. I'll buy some soon and let you know, but it looks much like traditional wheat pasta.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply