It is currently 03/28/24 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: Very sad news ~ Sammy
PostPosted: 11/04/09 12:01 pm • # 1 
Administrator

It is with a very heavy heart that I share the news that Sammy died on Sunday night from a coronary ~ I wish more of you could have known the Sammy I knew ~ the Sammy I knew was amongst the best men I have ever had the privilege and pleasure of knowing ~ Sammy hated and fought passionately against bigotry and discrimination, dishonesty, hypocrisy, and pretension ~ the huge obstacles Sammy confronted in his life gave him unwavering strong convictions and beliefs ~ he was smart and funny ~ obstinate and kind ~ fiercely loyal ~ compassionate ~ impatient ~ passionate about children and animals ~ very sweet ~ and always always always honest ~

The "lesson" to be learned from Sammy's unexpected and far-too-early death is to never, ever take those we love, those who are important in our lives, forgranted ~ never wait for tomorrow or next week to tell those you love that you do love them, that they are important and matter in your life ~ none of us has any guarantee ~

On the death of another special man, a friend wrote words that had great impact on me because the words perfectly fit the man ~ I'm paraphrasing here because the words fit Sammy as well ~ you can honor Sammy's memory by caring about each other, standing up for what is right because it is right, feeding a hungry or stray animal, making a child laugh ~ I feel greatly privileged and incredibly lucky to know and to love Sammy as a dear friend ~ and I miss him already ~

Love and hugs to you always, Sammy ~ may you rest in peace for ever and ever ~ Image

Love, Susan

Last edited by sooz06 on 03/04/11 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11/04/09 12:27 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Very sad, indeed. I didn't know Sammy, but, certainly reading your words of memory and love tell me I missed a wonderful experience. I am very sorry not to have had a chance to share more time with him on this board.

PostPosted: 11/04/09 12:59 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Knowing what little I do about his extraordinary life, I sure hope Sam receives the all the eulogies he deserves, such as sooz has written here. Soldiers of any war have their own special burdens to bear. Viet Nam was our war, men of Sam's age and mine, and Sam experienced that in a way I'm glad I never had to. I think life stripped away from Sam the small, easy, innocent pretenses most of us use to lubricate our contacts with the people around us, and so he could seem abrasive on these boards. But, as sooz said, you could count on his honesty, and you knew that what he said came out of a good heart, wishing the world well, in spite of anything it might have thrown at him. He was kind. I think any person who especially dearly loves animals and children (two forms of wildlife, in my experience) as Sam did, loves them out of a basic sense of optimism, that something good can happen for them and through them. Boy, we surely need that. Thanks, Sam. I'll miss you too.

Gramp

PostPosted: 11/04/09 1:13 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

even though i consider myself to be a thoughtful and charitable person, i could never compete with his example. he had a way of making even my most responsible impulses feel half hearted, and my devlish humor carelessly misguided. and i loved him for it. and cursed him, too!

good night, thweet thavage.

PostPosted: 11/04/09 1:29 pm • # 5 
I'm speechless... I didn't know him well - but what I did know I came to appreciate and respect as time passed. Not only was Sammy an honest and compassionate man - just by the nature of his being, he kept us all honest. May we honour him by striving to continue his legacy.

Sammy... your purity of heart and spirit will be sorely missed by all who knew you.

PostPosted: 11/04/09 1:29 pm • # 6 
I am so sorry to hear this news. I wish I had had the opportunity to get to know Sammy better.The few times I was able to join ' chat ' I remember I liked Sammy very much. His compassion and humor I noticed the most in those interactions as well as his sincere interest in others. From the comments I read by those that knew him it is clear he was a benefit to our world.

PostPosted: 11/04/09 2:48 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

Sammy was the first person i ever chatted with here at V o C, and in some ways, he first made the community for me. I loved and recognized the passionate way he tilted at windmills. He just seemed like he was starting to be happier, and trying on some more playfulness, when he lost the chance to explore that side of himself. It seems like a robbery.

Sleep well, warrior prince. We'll miss you.

PostPosted: 11/04/09 3:23 pm • # 8 
I only knew Sammy a relatively short period of time.
Sure we'd locked horns on occasion but with Sammy if you didn't do that, you weren't doing it right.
He meant to challenge you, make you reassess your position, refine your argument. He was passionate, but it was a passion often driven by hard personal experience and a deep caring. His integrity was always a given.

It must be said though, we also shared a hellava lot of laughs in that all-to-brief acquaintance. He was a funny guy!
Rest well buddy.
I honour and salute you. Image

PostPosted: 11/04/09 3:40 pm • # 9 
I will miss you Sammy.

Rest in peace. Image

To sooz and katy - Please accept my sympathy.

PostPosted: 11/04/09 4:16 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Well, that sucks.
My sincere condolences to his family.

Sammy now has the answers to a host of questions that mankind asks.

PostPosted: 11/04/09 5:40 pm • # 11 
I'm so very sorry to hear this news. What a shock! I've only known Sammy for the short time I've been at VOC, but he's been one of my favorite posters here, always thoughtful in his responses, firm in his positions, yet always welcoming to those with differing opinions and viewpoints. I wish I had an opportunity to know him better. He'll be missed. I hope his family can take some comfort from knowing that he touched the lives of people he interacted with here in the most positive way.

PostPosted: 11/04/09 6:25 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Unexpected death sure does snap things into perspective ~ it's both amazing and heartwarming to learn how Sammy affected each of us ~ in this medium that can be phony and self-serving, Sammy was always the "real deal" ~ he did challenge us ~ mostly to think, but also to dream ~ and to laugh ~ laughter was important to Sammy, and he could always make me laugh [and groan] with his quick-witted puns, humor, and retorts ~ Sammy had all of us in chat on the "thweet thavage" night howling with laughter ~

It's no secret that Sammy and I were close friends ~ we grew close via shared laughs and tears and serious talks ~ we loved each other as the dear friends we became to each other ~ but his real love was always Katy, and my heart and thoughts are focused on Katy and the great loss she is feeling and facing ~ I lost a dear friend, but Katy lost a true love ~ having been there myself, I know how she is hurting ~ and I'm very grateful for your words and thoughts that I hope will bring her comfort ~ thanks, from my heart, to you all ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/04/09 7:18 pm • # 13 
R.I.P Sammy....Peace Bro!

PostPosted: 11/05/09 3:56 am • # 14 
Editorialist

There will always be a big empty space here at VOC where Sammy was. He was unique in his staunch and unwavering convictions, especially when discussing crimes against people. He wanted justice for every victim. I'll miss that very much. I missed him when he left briefly, and was happy to have him back.

Sooz, can you share with us about how old Sammy was? Just a range would help me put together a memory of him. Thanks.

PostPosted: 11/05/09 4:09 am • # 15 
Administrator

Sammy was in his very early 60s, queenie ~ 61, I believe ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/05/09 2:37 pm • # 16 
I am so sorry to hear about Sammy. I enjoyed reading his posts and looked forward to them. I will miss him. My condolences to his family and friends.

PostPosted: 11/06/09 9:01 am • # 17 
I am very sorry to hear of Sammy's passing. It always saddens me when someone who has suffered the pain and heartache of combat dies. I always wonder if somehow in their life they found a way to come to grips with their experiences and if they found something of worth to push away the memories.

I hope Sammy did that.

PostPosted: 11/06/09 3:34 pm • # 18 
RIP Sammy, you will be missed...Image

PostPosted: 11/07/09 11:30 am • # 19 
I haven't been on this board for a few months like I use to, but i did note the absence of Sammy and haven't discussed anything with him for quite sometime but do know that we did talk about the time in service a lot quite a few months ago... He will be really missed and I for one Salute Sammy and do wish his family the very best... Rest n Peace and God bless...

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply