It is currently 06/17/24 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
 Post subject: Yuku's been sold again
PostPosted: 09/10/11 1:30 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Just found this out in Member Support.

Wonder if the new owners plan on fixing the bugs any sooner than the old owners?

PostPosted: 09/10/11 2:16 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Not sure what to make of the announcement ~ it sounds positive, but time will tell ~ and yes, I'm still exploring 'going independent' ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/11/11 2:13 am • # 3 
"going independent"?

PostPosted: 09/11/11 7:40 am • # 4 
Administrator

Yes, Sid ~ buying a VoC domain with no 'host' ~ that can be done for about the same cost [or less] than keeping VoC 'ad-free' ~ there are both pros and cons to that ~ so I'm doing some homework ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/11/11 8:09 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Yikes, it sounds hauntingly like the real estate fiasco. Who holds the title to our little property now? Image

PostPosted: 09/11/11 12:39 pm • # 6 
"Who holds the title to our little property now?"

Gold Man! Sacks!

PostPosted: 09/11/11 1:20 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

According to Andrew in MS, the new owners got us real cheap - something like $750K.  

PostPosted: 09/11/11 1:22 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Embarrassing! Image

PostPosted: 09/11/11 1:28 pm • # 9 
That can only mean one of two things: either bought out by competition to expand their reach (hence advertising rates) - or - shut it down.

Any ideas on who bought them?

PostPosted: 09/11/11 1:35 pm • # 10 
The new owners are Inform Technologies

Quote:
"Inform develops software that creates immersive content experiences for consumers and is utilized by publishers of all sizes to further engage and enlighten their audiences. Some of the Web's most authoritative publishers, including: CNN, The New York Daily News, NBC Universal, CBS Interactive, and The Economist, utilize Inform's technology. Our applications use artificial intelligence to discern meaning and context. With this enhanced understanding, we drive new opportunities in content creation, curation, distribution, and monetization. Inform is based in New York City and is backed by Spark Capital, The Stephens Group, and The Oklahoma Publishing Company."

http://www.linkedin.com/company/inform-technologies

PostPosted: 09/11/11 1:41 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

No, actually Inform was the former owner.  Our new owner is CrowdGather, 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/crowdgather-grows-monthly-traffic-by-50-through-purchase-of-yukucom-2011-09-08

http://www.crowdgather.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10015506

PostPosted: 09/11/11 1:45 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Is that a new release, Sid? ~ I'm pretty sure Inform is who just sold yuku ~ to CrowdGather ~ if you follow the link in pic's op, it'll take you to the thread in Andrew's Member Support group ~ the posts by Andrew and Casey seem to be the most knowledgeable ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/11/11 2:05 pm • # 13 
OH... my bad!

PostPosted: 09/11/11 2:07 pm • # 14 
Sooz... I think it's time to come up with a plan. How solid is Exoboard (in terms of ownership etc.)? We can at least use that fall-back position to work through the options. I don't think this board has a very long future.

PostPosted: 09/11/11 2:24 pm • # 15 
Administrator

I'm not thrilled with Excoboard, Sid ~ but I'm working on this more diligently now ~ I don't want to over-react ~ but I do want to be ready ~ I'll keep everyone updated ~ and I'm open to all suggestions ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/11/11 2:33 pm • # 16 
Well... I guess the "Cadillac" solution would be to register a domain and host a site. I don't know who you would host with, but the downside generally is "the higher the traffic the higher the cost" as in bandwidth. I was suggesting Exoboard just in case they turn off the lights.

PostPosted: 09/11/11 2:49 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Yeah ~ from a 'rational' angle, it makes no sense to me to buy yuku just to dismantle yuku ~ my real concern is, having lost the VoC posting in MSN, I do NOT want to lose the last almost 3 years of posting in yuku if there's any way to preserve it ~ but, honestly, I'm tired of being at someone else's mercy and rules ~ I've already PM'd jab to find out about what he likes/dislikes about godaddy [who he uses for his domain] ~ I'll keep everyone updated ~ and as I said above, all suggestions are welcome ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/11/11 3:06 pm • # 18 
I have a host I work with here when I do web sites and he's just updated all the hardware/software on brand new, faster servers. I like it because it's a more personalized approach to web hosting, but he is a bit pricey. That said, when you host with him, you get the back door to the site where you can install any number of popular content management systems. I'm not suggesting you host with him or anything, but I do recommend you find a host with one-on-one service, perhaps even a local provider. You may pay more but you'll get better service.

PostPosted: 09/12/11 12:50 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

Whatever you do Sooz, make sure you leave us some breadcrumbs to follow.

PostPosted: 09/12/11 1:08 pm • # 20 
Administrator

Of course, pic! ~ you were our first member here, and we're counting on you to be our first member wherever we land eventually [IF we end up moving] ~ as I said above, I don't want to over-react ~ but I do want to be ready ~ there's a lot to consider and I see no need to move IF this new ownership turns out to be just fine ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/12/11 1:09 pm • # 21 
It's all over but the waiting... that's a tough place to be. We're with you!

PostPosted: 09/12/11 1:25 pm • # 22 
Administrator

Thanks, Sid ~

As for MAYBE moving, I'd appreciate everyone to PM me with a working email address ~ whether or not you comply is entirely voluntary ~ but I see being able to contact everyone 'just in case yuku disappears' as important ~ I'm really hoping none of this will be necessary ~

Along those same lines, I yet again encourage all VoC members to join our back-up group at
VoCII if you have not already done so ~ when you get to the landing page, DO NOT try to log-in if you're just joining ~ instead, click on the 'register' button, to the left above our familiar heading ~ fill in the page, click submit ~ you'll be admitted as soon as we see you in pending ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/12/11 2:31 pm • # 23 
Done

PostPosted: 09/12/11 2:31 pm • # 24 
If a general migration were required, I don't think I'm going to follow that other place.

PostPosted: 09/16/11 3:00 am • # 25 
Administrator

Jayne, a member in the MemberSupport group, emailed CrowdGather [yuku's new owners] and asked 'what's gonna happen' ~ to my great surprise, she got a very complete answer, which you can read in the op at CG reply in the MemberSupport group ~ I encourage everyone to read the full reply, but the first paragraph stood out for me:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting me.  We purchased Yuku because I love forums and I want them to be around for a long time.  We are working on fixing all the stupid issues caused in the last server move and that is our first priority.  After that we will look at what the members have on their wish list and work on what we can to make things better.
The skeptic in me says 'sounds good, but let's see if words become action' ~ but I see the email reply as a good and very encouraging start ~

Sooz

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply